| Level | Collection |
| Title | Alvediston St Mary the Virgin |
| Description | Records of the parish of Alvediston.
Originally a chapelry of Broad Chalke, along with Bower Chalke, Alvediston became its own parish in 1861. The benefice united with Ebbesbourne Wake and Fifield Bavant in 1963, and is now part of the Chalke Valley Churches group. |
| Place Name | /Alvediston/Wiltshire |
| Administrative History | Before 1894 parishes had responsibility for both civil and ecclesiastical matters having taken on greater responsibility for civil functions previously under the jurisdiction of manors. In 1894 the Local Government Act reformed local government and created civil parish councils which took over responsibility for the secular duties of the parish.
Responsibility as the formal administrative unit responsible for relief of the poor lay with the parish following the 1601 Poor Relief Act. The next most significant change in poor relief was the 1834 Poor Law amendment Act which formed Poor Law Unions from groups of parishes managed by an elected Board of Guardians. For records of Poor Law Unions see catalogues H1-19) Powers were then transferred to local councils following acts of 1926, 1927 and 1929.
Note than some post-1894 material now falling under the responsibility of civil parish councils may appear within parish collections (the relevant parish council collection makes note of this where instances occur). |