| Level | Collection |
| Title | Bulkington Christchurch |
| Description | Records of the parish of Bulkington.
The church was built in 1860 to be a chapel of ease for Keevil. In 1971 the parish was united with Seend, and since 1995 it has been part of the united benefice of Seend, Bulkington and Poulshot. |
| Related Material | 870/1-6, 14-16, for records of the overseers of the poor |
| Place Name | /Bulkington/Keevil/Wiltshire |
| Administrative History | Before 1894 parishes had responsibility for both civil and ecclesiastical matters having taken on greater responsibility for civil functions previously under the jurisdiction of manors. In 1894 the Local Government Act reformed local government and created civil parish councils which took over responsibility for the secular duties of the parish.
Responsibility as the formal administrative unit responsible for relief of the poor lay with the parish following the 1601 Poor Relief Act. The next most significant change in poor relief was the 1834 Poor Law amendment Act which formed Poor Law Unions from groups of parishes managed by an elected Board of Guardians. For records of Poor Law Unions see catalogues H1-19) Powers were then transferred to local councils following acts of 1926, 1927 and 1929.
Note that some post-1894 material now falling under the responsibility of civil parish councils may appear within parish collections (the relevant parish council collection makes note of this where instances occur). |