LevelCollection
TitleShrewton St Mary
DescriptionRecords of the parish of Shrewton.

There are two churches dedicated to St Mary in Shrewton: one in the High Street, and one in Maddington. The two churches were united in 1869. The church in Maddington is now redundant, closing in 1975.

The church of St Andrew in Rollestone is also united with these churches, having been added in 1923.

Today the churches are part of the Salisbury Plain benefice, along with Chitterne, Orcheston, and Tilshead. A separate collection exists for the united benefice.
Related Material See also Shrewton United Benefice
Place Name/Shrewton/Wiltshire
Administrative HistoryBefore 1894 parishes had responsibility for both civil and ecclesiastical matters having taken on greater responsibility for civil functions previously under the jurisdiction of manors. In 1894 the Local Government Act reformed local government and created civil parish councils which took over responsibility for the secular duties of the parish.

Responsibility as the formal administrative unit responsible for relief of the poor lay with the parish following the 1601 Poor Relief Act. The next most significant change in poor relief was the 1834 Poor Law amendment Act which formed Poor Law Unions from groups of parishes managed by an elected Board of Guardians. For records of Poor Law Unions see catalogues H1-19) Powers were then transferred to local councils following acts of 1926, 1927 and 1929.

Note that some post-1894 material now falling under the responsibility of civil parish councils may appear within parish collections (the relevant parish council collection makes note of this where instances occur).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2026