LevelCollection
TitleTrowbridge St. James with St. Stephen
DescriptionRecords of the parish of Trowbridge St James with St Stephen. This was established as a chapel of ease to St. James's in 1863 at the southern end of Castle Street on a site opposite the entrance to the present St. Stephen's Place. The church bought the former Bethel (Baptist) chapel and added a tower with spire to the building. The church closed in 1924 and was demolished in 1926, when the stones were used to build the Co-operative Hall (now demolished) at the top of Castle Street. The registers for christenings (1863 - 1920) and marriages (1864-1922) are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre.
Date1487-2011
Place Name/Trowbridge St James/Trowbridge/Wiltshire
Administrative HistoryBefore 1894 parishes had responsibility for both civil and ecclesiastical matters having taken on greater responsibility for civil functions previously under the jurisdiction of manors. In 1894 the Local Government Act reformed local government and created civil parish councils which took over responsibility for the secular duties of the parish.

Responsibility as the formal administrative unit responsible for relief of the poor lay with the parish following the 1601 Poor Relief Act. The next most significant change in poor relief was the 1834 Poor Law amendment Act which formed Poor Law Unions from groups of parishes managed by an elected Board of Guardians. For records of Poor Law Unions see catalogues H1-19) Powers were then transferred to local councils following acts of 1926, 1927 and 1929.

Note than some post-1894 material now falling under the responsibility of civil parish councils may appear within parish collections (the relevant parish council collection makes note of this where instances occur).
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2026